What are chakras? Well the translation is ‘wheel of light’, they are the seven layers of energy that run through the body from base to top.
Each chakra has its own colour, symbol, mantra, sound, and specific types of yoga poses said to activate said chakra – there’s a lot more information for each one than this, but each week these blogs should add a little more insight into the attributes of each chakra.
Starting with the root or Muladhara, situated at the base of the spine and found in the perineum, this chakra’s colour is red.
It is the root, our basic primal instinct, it is what we need to survive, to thrive, is is us – and we are that, and the mantra unsurprisingly for this Charka is just that: “I am that.”
It’s the strong foundation upon which we balance all of life’s hopes and dreams, it’s the roots, the heritage, the lineage.
And often we find strong and stable yoga poses are great for grounding, in addition to balances too which help us test exactly how grounded we actually are – basically anything that activates the feet but also the perineum (situated at the base of the spine) – so seated poses too.
The positive archetype of this chakra is the mother – nurturing and positive, she encourages, acknowledges and affirms and is our absolute faith in the goodness of life.
The negative? It goes back to that primal instinct again, the victim, staying alive through the grace and generosity of others, uprooted from a life they once enjoyed and unable to get that grounding to support themselves… anxiety can create this victim as it can uproot our foundations and our conviction in who we are and what we do.
Strong affirmations for the root chakra?
- I know who I am and I make choices based on what I know to be right for me
- I affirm my right to live the life I choose
- My body supports me
- I am grateful for the challenges that life has taught me as it has made me who I am
How can we work through negativity around this chakra to create more balance?
- Cultivate patience
- Do what is necessary to remain stable through change
- Learn to live with change, be flexible and adaptable
- Do not despair when things do not go well for you – breathe
- Make a plan to see your dreams unfold
- Enjoy life and cultivate a sense of humour and outlook
Other things associated to this Chakra:
- Star sign: Capricorn
- Crystal: Ruby, Hematite, Bloodstone
- Oils: Cinnamon, Garlic, Sandalwood
- Plant: Sage
- Metal: Lead
- Colour: Red
- Type of Music: Drumming
- Mantra: So Hum (I am that)